Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Warning: Shoots flaming balls with reports

This was the warning on one of the fireworks we set off today. Today we hung out and got ready for Christmas and practiced some stuff for the postponed Christmas outreach on Monday. We went to Christmas Eve service which was really great. Some of the kids performed a dance that Alicia taught them. The kids all love the candles and some of them always end up with a little bit of hot wax on their hands. Then we had a great turkey, ham and mashed potato dinner with some type of chocolate jello pie for dessert. As we were eating, the neighbors were lighting off fireworks. Christmas Eve is a big time to do fireworks. If you research the history of fireworks you will see they have nothing to do with Christmas, but it's still fun nonetheless. We then took a look at our fireworks. We had a bunch of "rockets" and some type of fireworks with German instructions. We headed off to the boys home for the safest out of country fireworks display I have ever experienced. They can get pretty crazy, but this one was pretty calm. We only have one day left and I am sure going to miss it here.

On a completely unrelated note: The Haitians have what to me is an odd sense of humor... But it's funny still because I have an odd sense of humor too. Here are the responses to I've got to when I've called a person crazy here:

I'm not crazy because I don't have a rock in my hand
I'm not crazy, I'm a refrigerator

Yah.  In other news my camera keeps showing an Err message when I take a picture.  I guess that means I need to send it in for repair.  Ugh.

No comments: