Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Monday, December 21, 2009

Delmas 2000: All the stuff made in China 20 years ago you could everwant


delmas 2000-4100
Originally uploaded by LucasTheExperience

After some painting, some website updating, the arrival of some new people to the guest house some of us ventured out to Delmas 2000. This store is stocked full of some of the most obscure stuff and some of it the prices are ridiculous. There was a giant sword for 70 dollars, a corded telephone for at least 20.  You can find fake flowers, fans, bags that say New York on them, clothes (BUT NO SHORTS! only jeans... because it makes sense to wear jeans in Haiti whereit is nice and cool).  But then there are the deals. Each kid is given 10 dollars to buy for the family they have. They really are experts at making it go a long way. We only had two hours there and we took 15 kids. The kids were done before we even needed to leave and none of them tried to do the whole "hey i'll buy this for you if you buy that for me". Maybe it was my speech before hand that they wouldn't get to buy anything if they did that. Anyways it was a great time and I hate to push American consumerism on them like they HAVE to buy something for people for Christmas... but I really think there's a whole other side to it. One they get an economics lesson in how to stretch 10 dollars and maybe a bit of a math lesson as well. And it's just great that they can have the opportunity to bless someone else, even if the gifts aren't really expensive. They all seemed to love it. It's hard walking out of that store because there are kids begging outside and they see me with all these Haitian kids with shopping bags and I'm like a target... I wish I could help everyone, I really do. God has me here helping these kids who were just like those ones on the street though.  Tomorrow, we will venture to Delmas 2000 again.

No comments: