Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Posing as journalists

Yesterday Troy and I went around Port-Au-Prince taking pictures. To look more official, I found a vest at the store room here. We started off in beautiful PAP traffic. We went to the end of the road on Delmas pretty much... don't know exactly how to describe it. There were these shacks there that looked like a great place to take pictures:

After about 2 minutes of standing there some Haitian guy started yelling at us.  The only way I can tell people are mad about me taking pictures here is the tone of the voice and the fact that the word photo is somewhere in there.  I don't even think I took a picture of that guy, so he really had no reason to get angry. 



Then we went to this super crowded market where apparently people buy things for other markets.  Two white guys with cameras... we didn't stick out at all!  Anyways... my favorite thing was the huge piles of salt, but I don't have a picture of that.



I'm pretty sure it was because of my journalist vest we got to go behind these gates and take pictures of the boats...


Then we kind of went all around that area taking pictures... here are some of my faves:



The above image kind of captures Haiti at Christmas in my mind.  The guy standing up hanging on to the truck just added to the picture for me.  This is the National Palace or Haitian White House.



For the image below - I didn't know what the graffiti said until it was explained to me: There is no election without Fanmi Lavalas.  The English even had to be explained to me, and then I saw an article in the Washington Post today that explains it: Click here for that article



Then we decided to go to the village Troy used to live in.  Before we did he asked if I wanted to go to Cite Soleil.  So we pretty much made a left hand turn and were there.  I think I was kind of in awe, looking all around me so I didn't get a huge amount of images - plus we were driving a little fast.







After about an hour drive and almost hitting a cow, we made it to the village


We sat down in this old lady's house, bought some sodas and Troy carried on a full on conversation with the people in Creole, while I tried to listen and understand and take pictures.






Then we went to a nearby school... I couldn't stay in there very long because when I came in most of the kids stood up.  Then all eyes were on me so I felt like no one could be productive while I was there...







This girl the people seriously call her Crazy Crazy... because she has some type of mental handicap.  She had one of the biggest and most radiant smiles of the people there...

And then it was time to go home...

There are more pictures up on my flickr starting with http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucastheexperience/4172493469/in/set-72157622920290252/

No comments: