Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Saturday, June 21, 2008

AYITI Jou 2!

Day 2 was awesome... but first I forgot a few things from yesterday
 
First off.  I think I forgot my toothbrush.  One of the many joys of being married haha.  Also, I brought a copy of my Haiti book and the kids are loving it and tearing it up!  I didn't think it would be such a big hit?!  One of the guys I worked with on the playhouse at the girls home Fritz(nel) was saying he really liked it.  He kept saying this, so we finally got to the point that he wanted a copy.  So I think I will be leaving that here with him.  I was excited to bring it and show the kids and some of them yesterday were reading all the way through it.  Another thing that amused me yesterday was that I am wearing the same hat and shirt and glasses that I wore the last time and one of the kids that came to the airport said he recognized me.  Fritz(nel) also said he recognized me, and Renald too.  How awesome! 
 
Today we got up early and then we worshipped and prayed.  That was an awesome time to just reflect and thank God for what He is doing through us.  Then we went to a VERY crowded Haitian market and I'm not thinking anyone bought anything.  When is the last time you have been to a market and they had live chickens flapping around and everybody was yelling at you to buy something?  It was a different experience, 20 americans in the middle of a thousand or so Haitians.  I was excited to practice my Creole.  On the way back we also saw a parade for some Haitian rapper(s) that died recently.  We also were able to hang out with the boys and girls at their homes and play soccer, football or make bracelets.  I love the look on people's faces when Alicia or I speak Creole.  We talked to the guard today at the Manassero/Hojara home about if he likes it here, where he is from and stuff.  So much has happened today I feel like, I am trying to still process it all.  Then we got to go check out the ravine, where it seems to be some of the poorest people.  We gave some of the kids candy and talked to the people.  One guy was shaving with a razor blade, so I got to ask him if he cuts his face with it in Creole haha.  I think he thought it was funny that I knew how to say that.  Tonight, some are going to the boys home to watch Zorro and tomorrow we are going to church!  I am really excited about that.  Maybe tomorrow I will have a better update about today, just like yesterday.  I am trying to write everything down as it happens, but sometimes there is just not enough time.
 
Thank you for your prayers, everyone here is doing great.  It's not THAT hot, but it is hot and the mosquitoes seem to be relatively non-existent. 
 
More photos!  I think I'm up to around 300, i try to be as discreet as possible because people do get mad if you take a picture without them giving you permission...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucastheexperience/sets/72157605133107968/
 
lucas simmons

No comments: