Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

another ayiti update

sorry i didn't update yesterday.  there's this thing called electricity and another thing called air conditioning, showers and toilets that are not overflowing with gross stuff that we take for granted in America.  Part of me gets grossed out and part of me goes hey you're in the third world what do you expect?  I try to let that part take over and just figure out how I can survive in another way haha.  I don't think the toilet situation is helped by the fact that they put acid down them.  That's at least what the bottle said, who knows what was in it.

Right now we are at our camp facility in Port-Au-Prince.  Electricity is spotty and internet is slow, we brought our satellite connection with us.  I was going to update last night but I opted to sleep.  First I would like to say that the guitar we thought was lost forever was indeed found at the airport.

So here is what I wrote for yesterday:
Today we woke up early and got ready to go to camp.  We loaded all our bags and mattresses in the truck.  We arrived after about 30 minutes and then did the opposite.  The place is pretty nice for Haiti and there's a lot of staff working here and I have tried to talk to them.  One of the cool things is that the worship we do is really loud.  So people who are at this place just come and sit down and hang out.  The kids arrived over an hour late, but they are excited for camp.  We played soccer, but we had everyone tie their leg to a friend's leg.  Worship and the message was great.  Our topic for the week is heroes of the faith, tonight it was Abraham.  Earlier today we made t-shirts for our different color teams.  The cool thing to say around here is "I am the best"  It sounds so funny with their Haitian accents.  It was cool to see them put "Jesus is the best" or "Jesi se pli bon" on their shirts. 

Back to now, this morning I am realizing how we cannot do this on our own and we need Jesi to be able to do this.  In a few days I will be back in America and these kids will be here.  Pray that we follow Him and that He touches their hearts this week.

Anyways that's the update.  I better go before the electricity cuts out.  Somehow it takes me about an hour to do these!  I will try and have another one later today, but who knows.

here are more photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucastheexperience/sets/72157605133107968/
lucas

No comments: