Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Notes to myself



I prayed at an abortion clinic this past weekend. I didn't really want to, but I wanted to get out of the boat. I wanted to do something for God that made me feel uncomfortable. I got there and I saw the people walking in to have this done and the people walking out who have had it done. I look at their faces. Most tell so much, or hide what's really going on with a plastic smile. I want to scream that it's wrong, that they can't do this. I don't know what to feel, I don't know what to do. I know that 1.3 million babies being killed a year is an incomprehensible number to me. I can barely imagine 1,000 people let alone 1.3 million. It makes it easier to forget. The building that 6,000 of these happen at a year looks like any other on the street. There are no big signs that say "Abortions are happening here." Rather, it's a plain brown building guised under the name "family planning" center. It's sad really. We don't value human life or truth anymore. And I feel guilt for not doing more, for not being there to pray and petition God. To let people know that this is not the only option, that the enemy has deceived them. It's so much easier to forget about.

I was reading this book this weekend about missions. In Asian countries, where Hinduism is the main religion there are many people starving while cows roam freely. Rats are sacred in the Hindu religion and spoil 20% of the food supply a year. When the government tries to kill the rats so that the people can have more food, there is a huge outcry. The problem isn't the lack of food, it's that these people are worshipping false gods. They need Jesus, just like the people at the abortion clinic do. Their hearts are hungry but deceived. The writer reminds us that yes it is important to supply the physical needs for people who need it, but we should not forget their spiritual needs.

Ok I should go to sleep. I'm sure I'll think of more to write, I didn't feel particularly inspired to write tonight. Just sort of bored. At 2am. Ha.

No comments: