Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Saturday, December 27, 2008

tragedy

“I will tell you what a tragedy is, I will show you how to waste your life. Consider this story from the February 1998 Reader’s Digest: A couple took early retirement from their jobs in the Northeast five years ago when he was 59 and she was 51. Now they live in Punta Gorda, Florida, where they cruise on their 30-foot trawler, play softball and collect shells. … Picture them before Christ at the great day of judgment: ‘Look, Lord. See my shells.’ That is a tragedy.” - John Piper

I have to say Christmas in Haiti was unlike anything I have experienced. In a good way, first we went to Christmas Eve service which I thought we were going to miss out on because of our rule about being out after dark (which was to not be out after dark). It was a really great time with the kids and we had a candle lighting and everything. Then we went back to the guesthouse where we had everybody on the roof - oh my gosh God please let that roof never collapse - and shot off fireworks. Now in California, they ban you from buying even the little piddly fireworks in most places. These were like the bigtime fireworks you see in professional shows, but probably a little less safe haha. So that was a great time. Then we went to watch a movie at the boys house which skipped so much I couldn't tell if it was in English or not. Then the younger boys all were excited because I was staying over that night. These kids are crazy, they were up until 3am playing video games and when I tried to fall asleep they stuck a cat in my face so I decided I had to stay up with them to avoid the torture haha. The other weird thing was that that night there was a party going on next door until 3am. There was also people welding throughout the night, which is great for them because they have no form of real eye protection. The guys on the street were a little bit nuts and a couple gunshots went off which I thought were just more fireworks haha. God is in control and no one was hurt as far as I know. That happens in America too, I am just never around it.

Christmas in Haiti is much like Christmas in America. When I was out in the city, you saw Christmas lights and images of Santa Claus. As Christmas day got closer, the streets got more crowded. As impoverished as this country is, it seems like consumerism has attached itself to Christmas just like in America.


I have been thinking about this guy Alicia and I met at Delmas 2000 which is like a lame version of Big Lots or Pic-N-Save. He was from Palestine, and was kind of managing this store which had seemingly thousands of Haitians coming through it to buy anything from dirty fabric to fake potted plants that lit up and moved when you plugged them in. We started talking to him because I am fascinated what brings people from Syria or Middle Eastern countries to Haiti because a lot of people managing stores like this or grocery stores seem to be from Middle Eastern countries. Alicia and I found out he had no family here, he had only been in Haiti for two years and he was from Palestine. So we asked, "Why Haiti? What brings you here?" He said, "Just my luck!" Just my luck?! That's it?!!? That's what I wanted to ask, but I smirked and moved on to other questions... I pray and hope to God I am following God's will and not just being blown around by the wind and following my luck or collecting seashells.

1 comment:

the princess said...

I found your blog b/c I am a friend of Kamala K. and wanted to see her Haiti picturas-- I am borrowing the above John Piper quote for my Facebook, good one!