Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

a day out on the town

yesterday i got to go out of the orphanage a lot which was really interesting. there was a businessman who came to speak to the kids last week and he runs a computer store on one of the main streets here in Port-Au-Prince. I wanted to go check it out and plus I wanted to buy a memory card. It was pretty nice and I was surprised with all the stuff they had there. The prices were a bit high, but that's the way everything is here. I bought something anyways.

Then Bill & I went to epidor which is like Haitian McDonald's after that...

Then soon after I got back the kids got 10 dollars a piece from an american donor to buy something for someone else. We went to this place called Delmas 2000, which just has all sorts of random stuff to buy. Toys, fake flowers, furniture... I went out with them and I did not realize it was going to take 4 HOURS to shop for 15 kids haha. I was mostly helping Keso who could not make up his mind at all. He and Alicia must be related lol. I was excited to see Keso wanting to buy stuff for his mom and sister, since I never really see them talk... Anyways, we finally got out and it was about 5:30, but then we had to wait in line to get the presents wrapped. I think we got back at like 7:30. While we were there there was a kid begging for money and I of course being the one white guy in the sea of Haitians was his target for getting "just one dollar" I prayed for him, the kids said they already gave him something and I would rather pray for a kid than give him a dollar. I can give people dollars all day and it won't do anything real for them and I will be out of dollars pretty soon. I can't run out of prayers. The kid said thank you after that but then proceeded to go back to his begging me for one dollar... I wished i had some candy or something to give him too... maybe i should keep candy on me or something. On the way home another kid asked us for money and Keso asked if he could give one of his presents to this kid on the street. I was so proud of him for doing that!

New pictures are up

No comments: