Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Friday, September 22, 2006

minimalism

I want to get rid of everything. Seriously, I want to be detached from stuff. My stuff defines me and I despise it.

1st Corinthians says
1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

Hmm. Verse 3 seems to hit home. I've just been reminded again and again and even again how central love is to everything in the gospel. And again.



The airport is an amazing place. People come, people go. From all over the world. It's amazing how it all works, how the radar systems and the radar dudes control hundreds or thousands of flights coming in. The security, the parking, all the maintenance. It's really amazing when you think about all that goes on there, especially all that goes on at LAX. (FYI, the X in LAX doesn't stand for anything I found out) And 99% of the time nothing goes wrong. Us little people moving around so quickly, going from place to place. Rushing around. This society, our egos tells us that we are so important and big and that getting the next schnazzy thing is really what matters. But really, we're just little people on this little planet in this ever expanding universe. In reality, we're getting smaller and smaller all the time in comparison to the universe. We go from point A to point B and think and worry about what tomorrow will bring. We don't even know if tomorrow will exist for us, or for the world. But no one likes to think about that, no one likes to think about the bad things that could happen tomorrow and prepare themselves for it. Because it won't happen to us, no never, life is always going to be hunky dory.

James 4
13Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." 16As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. 17Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.

No comments: