Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Green Shirt

I'm not a person who gets excited about articles of clothing very easily.  But, one of the many reasons I enjoy going to Haiti is wearing my green shirt.  It's like one of those safari-rei shirts that costs way more than you think it is worth.  The second time I went to Haiti one guy had one and I remember sitting at the one stop, 15  feet up in the air on top of the Manassero's giant white truck - the sun beating down on us - listening to this guy tell us of the wonders of his green shirt.  I kind of thought he was crazy for paying so much for a shirt.  Of course, they come in other colors but the green one is my favorite.  It is even better accentuated by a tan vest.  People will actually think you are a journaliste.  When we were in Haiti for 5 weeks and I came prepared for one week, green shirt saved me.  My other clothes were literally falling apart - but did green shirt fall apart?  No.  Did it stink after I wore it for a week straight?  Maybe a little.  It didn't feel dirty, which is the most important part of green shirt.  You're sweaty, you're icky, you take showers with 4 cups of water (my personal Spartan record) but green shirt is there to make you feel normal.  If you put it under the sink, ring it out and leave it for an hour or two it feels even better in the hot Haitian sun.  Green shirt is waiting in my closet  waiting to be sprayed with Permethrin to repel mosquitoes and is ready to repel sun for me with its awesome built-in UV protection.  Green shirt is even long sleeve, and it doesn't feel it.  Man how can you not have a green shirt if you are going to Haiti?

You may think these are ramblings of a mad man, but you get a green shirt and just wait and see...    

Tan shirt also exists, but eh.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're really making me want to get a green REI shirt now!

Bill Manassero said...

As a fellow connoisseur of heat and sweat-resistant REI shirts, i concur -- this shirt was made for Haiti. However, Niagara Navy is new green!

Kelly said...

wow, i totally feel your passion towards this green shirt. How come you never wear it on Tuesdays? are Tuesdays not special enough for the green shirt?