Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Sunday, May 03, 2009

sunday

today we went to church at port-au-prince fellowship.  I had goodies for john and beth mchoul, a two day old whopper for john and some candy for beth.  I think it's funny how excited john gets about whoppas, especially two day old ones but if i ever moved down here i would definitely have those things that got me excited.  worship was amazing... and i am really enjoying hearing how God is changing people's hearts through what they see in Haiti.  It's also great to see all these people who in some cases haven't spent more than a few hours together come together as a team.  I hear the laughter of our team right now in fact, I must be missing out on something hilarious.
 
today we also got to surprise alicia for her birthday with lunch at a place here in Haiti.  It's really strange how you can go to one part of Haiti and see poverty and absolute squalor and in another such wealth.  But then I think it's really not very different from how we live in America.  You have Palos Verdes not too far from Compton and bad parts of LA.  There is just a more stark contrast here.
 
then we got to play with the kids for a few hours.  volleyball and soccer, mostly.  I think everyone on the team is noticing how much joy the people of Haiti have even in the midst of all the poverty.  It's definitely an interesting reminder as one person put it when you think about how many people in America are so depressed with so much wealth. 
 
tomorrow the work starts.  Please be praying for us and for God to guide us as a team.
 
I am adding a new segment to my blog, quotes from our team taken out of context:
I'll take trash pits during Jesus' time for one hundred dollars
Stop it or I will bury you alive in a box
 
New pictures are up from today:

No comments: