Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Friday, October 03, 2008

Our country is ridiculous

Yes. I am about ready to drop everything and I don't know what. So, our American greed has finally come back to get us. We are whining because our houses we couldn't afford are getting foreclosed on. Yes, I admit the banks weren't all in the right but somehow we have this idea that we can get whatever we want and just charge it or refinance and pay it off later. Then, something bad happens and we can't afford it. We couldn't really afford it to begin with. The government is scrambling to spend 700 billion dollars to fix the situation, because of course government has to do something. What would happen if government didn't... and we actually said yes I spent too much money, money I didn't have. Wow. Owning up for our mistakes, that's something new. Admitting we are wrong. As Steve Martin once said "I'm sorry but I am pissed" That's not really what gets to me. I am sorry if I offended anyone, if you want to write a blog about how I am wrong, then go ahead. What gets to me is these politicians. I am a Republican but when John McCain says one day we will not spend money on researching bear DNA and weeks later votes FOR 112 billion dollars in pork barrel spending, well that is just plain ridiculous and downright idiotic. We are worried about our economy and our houses being foreclosed on and meanwhile there are people in other countries starving. Take Haiti for example. The country is on the brink of famine and donations and aid is down because of the bad economy.

Well let's see how the math works out here:112 billion dollars divided by the population of Haiti which I will overestimate at 9 million. That's about 12 thousand dollars. Most people in Haiti couldn't imagine that much money. Most people live off a dollar a day. A dollar a day. At 12 thousand dollars a person you could feed a person in Haiti for over 30 years at a dollar a day. But instead that money went to making movies or credits for energy efficient appliances or hurricane disaster relief for Americans. Not that that is a bad thing, but I don't get why we are touting this as a bank bailout when a huge portion of it isn't doing what we are saying it is doing. Some people might think well this is what we need to get a bill passed. That is a bunch of a malarky, you don't need 100 billion dollars in extra spending for a bill to be passed.


Just think about the whole 30 years thing if nothing else. Haiti is on the brink of famine and we are worried about our nice cars, our houses. People can't even eat there. 30 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My gosh people.

No comments: