Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Information Overload



Does anyone else's family send them an abundance of forwards warning them about cell phone telemarketers, driving in the rain with your cruise control, and other such nonsense? How about not getting out in your car or talking on the cell phone when you're getting gas? How many instances of somebody exploding have happened because they were on the phone at the gas station? I'm guessing it's none. But we must be warned of everything, so we'll put signs on everything. Everywhere, to warn us of impending doom. BE CAREFUL! Sit in your house, lock the door, board up your windows and wait to die! Because if you go outside, the radiation from the power lines will kill you. Yah. And I'm supposed to remember all of this? Most of the time I just look at it, click delete - especially if it tells me to forward it to five people.


I don't get my brain. You probably don't either. I don't get how I have a mental calendar, how when people say certain dates my brain automatically thinks of something someone else has told me about on that day, or that I have nothing to do. Is it like the Dewey decimal system at the library? Is my brain a bunch of sun-stained index cards sitting in tiny drawers? What is conciousness? What is this? What IS all this?

No comments: