Our new blog is at http://www.experiencesinhaiti.com/blog

Saturday, December 12, 2009

He's just doing his job

If your job is throwing people's merchandise in the air and scaring people half to death, this guy was doing his job pretty well.  Today we went to the Petionville market, I had high hopes of buying some more shorts because I planned for ten days in Haiti and brought three pairs of shorts and one pair has a hole which renders them unusable.  Another pair is much too hot.  Basically I am down to one pair.  So we get to the market and we are walking down the hill and we see a man throwing stuff wildly and other people running.  A guy next to me who followed us around the entire time we were there tells me "He's just doing his job"  I don't know what job that is, but maybe somebody can clarify for me.  It didn't look like he was having a good time or that anybody was happy with his job. 

If you are looking for cargo shorts, don't go to the Petionville market.  They don't have any.

2 comments:

Cara said...

He's probably from the City of Petion-Ville. They've been cracking down on street vendors. They want them to get off of the streets into the designated market areas. It's chaos when they come around - the vendors are madly collecting their merchandise, and the public loves to watch for victims of the city workers "doing their job".

Lucas said...

Yah that's what I heard. It was still a very strange experience.